The Shannon Centenary , 2016, marks the life and influence of Claude Shannon on the hundredth anniversary of his birth on 30 April 1916. Shannon is best known for developing the mathematical foundations of communication (establishing the field of information theory) , data compression , digital computers , cryptography , circuit complexity , flow networks , and juggling , as well as laying foundations of artificial intelligence [8, 9] and human–computer interaction .
- A video that the Information Theory Society has created.
- Shannon's Work and Its Legacy , M. Effros and H. V. Poor.
- David Forney's comments on receiving the IEEE Medal of Honor .
Note that ITSoc has made funding available to support Shannon Centennial outreach events. Deadlines to apply for funding are March 6th, April 1st, May 1st, June 1st, and July 1st. Notification of whether the application is approved would be within a week after submission. Guidelines for applying can be found on the web application site: http://inscription.epfl.ch/index.php?form=Shannon
Bell Labs has created a web exhibit . Some recent media coverage of the Shannon Centenary include:
- E. Guizzo, " Bell Labs Looks at Claude Shannon's Legacy and the Future of Information Age ," IEEE Spectrum , 4 May 2016.
- J. Boon, " Who Is Claude Shannon? " Hollywood Life , 30 April 2016.
- C. Fedde, " How Claude Shannon's masters thesis changed our world ," Christian Science Monitor , 30 April 2016.
- S. Rajvanshi, " From fire trumpets to supercomputers ," The Statesman , 30 April 2016.
- D. Z. Morris, " Google Celebrates 100th Birthday of Claude Shannon, the Inventor of the Bit ," Fortune , 30 April 2016.
- S. Roberts, " Claude Shannon, the Father of the Information Age, Turns 1100100 ," The New Yorker , 30 April 2016.
- " Claude Shannon: The juggling father of the information age who coined the term 'bit' ," The Telegraph , 30 April 2016.
- J. Gibbs, " Claude Shannon: Three things you'll wish you owned that the mathematician invented ," The Independent, 30 April 2016.
- R. Cavanaugh, " Claude Shannon: The Juggling Unicyclist Who Pedaled Us Into the Digital Age ," Time Magazine , 29 April 2016.
- " Shannon said, let there be entropy. Then there started the Information Age ," WeChat , 30 April 2016.
- " Claude Shannon: el padre de la Teoria de la Informacion ," El Pais, 30 April 2016.
- " Was Claude Shannon mit Ihrer WhatsApp-Nachricht zu tun hat ," Die Welt , 30 April 2016.
- J. Horgan, " Claude Shannon: Tinkerer, Prankster, and Father of Information Theory ," IEEE Spectrum , 27 April 2016.
- S. Betschon, "Die Erfindung des Informationszeitalters," Neue Zurcher Zeitung , 21 April 2016.
- A. Magoun, " Did Claude Shannon Invent a Groundbreaking Personal Computer ," The Institute , 1 April 2016.
- G. Pascal Zachary, " Celebrating Claude Shannon ," IEEE Spectrum , 23 March 2016.
- K. Brown, " Shannon centennial celebrants recall U-M grad's advances, societal impacts ," The University Record , 8 March 2016.
Planned events in India are listed here , and around the world include the following:
- When Boole Meets Shannon Workshop , University College Cork, Ireland, 1-2 September 2015.
- Boole Shannon Lecture Series / Robert Gallager , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 30 October 2015.
- Boole Shannon Lecture Series / Marc Mezard , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 6 November 2015.
- Boole Shannon Lecture Series / Madhu Sudan , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 3 December 2015.
- Shannon [email protected], University of Maryland, 2016
- Bombay Information Theory Seminars (BITS) , IIT Bombay and TIFR Mumbai, India, 1-3 January 2016.
- Boole Shannon Lecture Series / Andrea Goldsmith , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 26 February 2016.
- Open Day , Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 5 March 2016.
- 2016 Conference on Information Sciences and Systems , Plenary talk on Claude Shannon by Sergio Verdú, Princeton, NJ, USA, 16-18 March 2016.
- Boole Shannon Symposium , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 18 March 2016.
- Boole / Shannon Exhibit , Museum of Science, Boston, MA, USA, 1-30 April 2016.
- Claude Shannon Centenary 2016 Ottawa , Ottawa, Canada, April-May 2016.
- Shannon Centennial at the 2016 European School of Information Theory , Gothenburg, Sweden, 4-8 April 2016.
- Claude Shannon: A Pioneer of the Information Age , Texas A&M University, USA, 9 April 2016.
- Shannon Exhibit, The International Science Festival Gothenburg , Gothenburg, Sweden, 11-22 April 2016.
- 100th Birthday of Claude Shannon Public Lecture, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece, 11 April 2016.
- Benelux Shannon Centenary , TU Eindhoven, Netherlands, 13 April 2016.
- Shannon Centennial Celebration , University of Campinas (Unicamp), State of São Paulo, Brazil, 15 April 2016 and 19-20 May 2016.
- Shannon Exhibitions Ottawa , Ottawa, Canada, 16/23/30 April 2016.
- Festisciences at UniNE, Université de Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, 23 April 2016.
- Information Theory Day , University of Balamand, Lebanon, 27 April 2016.
- Boole Shannon Lecture Series / Irwin Jacobs , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 27 April 2016.
- First Shannon Conference on the Future of the Information Age, Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ, USA, 28-29 April 2016.
- 100th Birthday of Claude Shannon at JPL/Caltech, Pasadena, CA, USA, 28 April 2016.
- Claude Shannon 100th Birthday Celebration, Taiwan) 29 April 2016.
- National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
- National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
- National Sun-Yat-Sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- National Dong Hwa University, Hualien, Taiwan
- Workshop organized by the Sydney Quantum Information Community , 29 April 2016.
- Troppo rumore?, Per nulla , Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy, 29 April 2016.
Claude Shannon Web Exhibit, Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ, USA, 30 April 2016.
IEEE Shannon Centennial Celebration , Catholic Institute of Business and Technology, Accra, Ghana, 30 April 2016.
Claude Shannon Centenary 2016 Hong Kong , Chinese University of Hong Kong, May-Nov 2016.
- Claude Elwood Shannon 100th Birthday Celebration at the Heinz-Nixdorf Museum, Paderborn, Germany, 3-4 May 2016.
- Shannon Centenary in Singapore , National University of Singapore, 5 May 2016.
- Shannon's 100th Birthday, Monash University, Clayton Campus, Australia, 6 May 2016.
- UCLA Shannon Centennial Celebration , University of California, Los Angeles, USA, 7 May 2016. news story
- Shannon Centenary Lectures , Modares University, Tehran, Iran, 8 May 2016.
- Centenary of Claude Shannon, Universidad Francisco de Paula Santander, Cucuta, Colombia, 13 May 2016.
- Plenary talk on Claude Shannon by Sergio Verdú and unveiling ceremony of IEEE Milestone, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, 17 May 2016.
- 100th Birthday of Claude Shannon , City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 21 May 2016.
- Shannon Day , Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India, 3 June 2016.
- Shannon Centennial: 20th Year Anniversary Workshop of KICS CITS , Jeju, Korea, 20-22 June 2016
- Claude Shannon Centenary Birthday , Tamil Nadu, India, 29-30 June 2016.
- Claude Shannon Exhibit , MIT Museum, USA, 1 June - 31 July 2016.
- Celebrazione del Centenario di Claude E. Shannon , Rome, Italy, 1 July 2016.
- Claude E. Shannon Centennial Celebration , University of Michigan, USA, 16 September 2016.
- IEEE ITSOC Shannon Centennial Event , Motorola Venue, Chicago, USA, 23 September 2016.
- Shannon Centenary , Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 19 October 2016.
- Théorie de l’information : nouvelles frontières dans le cadre du centenaire de Claude Shannon , Paris, France, 26-28 October 2016.
- Public Lecture: Claude E. Shannon , Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, USA, 16 November 2016.
- Shannon Centennial at Clemson , South Carolina, USA, 2 December 2016.
- Le Magicien des Codes , Paris, France, 13 December 2016.
- Shannon Centennial Workshop on Communications and Information Theory , Thiravanathapuram, India, 13-14 December 2016.
- 2016 Shannon Workshop , Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 14-16 December 2016.
In honor of the Shannon Centenary, there is a special issue of the IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological, and Multi-Scale Communications on Biological Applications of Information Theory:
There has also been a Shanniversary geocache placed.
More information coming soon, but check out Wikipedia in the meantime!
 C. E. Shannon, "A Mathematical Theory of Communication," Bell System Technical Journal , vol. 27, pp. 379–423, 623–656, 1948. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb01338.x
 C. E. Shannon, "Coding Theorems for a Discrete Source With a Fidelity Criterion," in IRE National Convention Record, Part 4, pp. 142 – 163, 1959. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/9780470544242.ch21
 C. E. Shannon, "A Symbolic Analysis of Relay and Switching Circuits," Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers , vol. 57, pp. 713 – 723, 1938. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/T-AIEE.1938.5057767
 C. E. Shannon, "Communication Theory of Secrecy Systems," Bell System Technical Journal , vol. 28, pp. 656 – 715, 1949. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1949.tb00928.x
 C. E. Shannon, "The Synthesis of Two-Terminal Switching Circuits," Bell System Technical Journal , vol. 28, pp. 59 – 98, 1949. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1949.tb03624.x
 P. Elias, A. Feinstein, and C. E. Shannon, "A Note on the Maximum Flow Through a Network," IRE Transactions on Information Theory , vol. 2, pp. 117 – 119, 1956. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1956.1056816
 C. E. Shannon, "Scientific Aspects of Juggling," in Claude E. Shannon: Collected Papers , N. J. A. Sloane and A. D. Wyner, eds., Wiley-IEEE Press, 1993: pp. 850 – 864. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/9780470544242.ch65
 C. E. Shannon, "Programming a Computer for Playing Chess," Philosophical Magazine Series 7 , vol. 41, pp. 256-275, 1950. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14786445008521796
 J. McCarthy, M. L. Minsky, N. Rochester, and C. E. Shannon, "A Proposal for the Dartmouth Summer Research Project on Artificial Intelligence, August 31, 1955," A. I. Magazine , vol. 27, pp. 12-14, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1609/aimag.v27i4.1904
 E. O. Thorpe, "The Invention of the First Wearable Computer," in Second International Symposium on Wearable Computers , pp. 4-8, 1998. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISWC.1998.729523