A post-doctoral position in the area of information-theoretic security and cryptography is available at the Information Theory Section of Simula UiB, Bergen, Norway. The position is for two years, with the possibility of extension.
Simula UiB is a research center owned by Simula Research Laboratory and the University of Bergen. The goal of Simula UiB is to increase the security expertise in Norway through research and education. For further details, see our webpage http://simula-uib.com. We have a solid background in coding, information theory, communication theory, and many related areas. Currently, our research focus includes various topics in private information retrieval (PIR), private computation (PC), coding for property testing, coding for zero-knowledge succinct non-interactive arguments of knowledge (zk-SNARKs), and privacy-preserving technologies in general. We are looking for a candidate with a solid background within one/several of these research areas and algebraic coding theory.
We are looking for interested candidates who
- have completed, or are about to complete, a PhD degree in information theory or a suitably related relevant field
- have an excellent academic track record and will be looking for publications in relevant venues
- have an excellent level of spoken and written English
- possesses good interpersonal and communication skills
- are willing to work as part of an international team
Simula appreciates diversity. We currently employ approximately 155 individuals from 35 countries and strive to create a family-friendly working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourages women to apply.
Simula UiB Offers:
- Excellent opportunities for performing high-quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers;
- An informal and inclusive international working environment- where master students, PhDs, Postdocs, and seniors work closely together;
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits with other universities, and funding to attend conferences.
- Modern office facilities located at Marineholmen in the city center of Bergen
- A competitive salary. Starting salary from NOK 543 500
- There are numerous benefits: access to company cabin, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone, and subscription), comprehensive travel/health insurance policy, etc.
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc
- Administrative research support: e.g., quality assurance process for grant proposals (including RCN and EU programs).
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being are a priority, and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently.
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
- A cover letter explaining the candidate’s background, qualifications, research interests and how/why the candidate is qualified for the position.
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and academic or industrial work, scientific publications, and software development experience).
- Academic transcripts from Bachelor and Master degrees, including a (draft) copy of PhD thesis.
- Contact information of two references, including the PhD supervisor(s).
Application deadline and procedure
15 September 2021. Please apply at
Applications will be screened continuously and a decision will be made as soon as we find the right candidate.
Technical questions can be addressed to:
- Chief Research Scientist Eirik Rosnes, [email protected], web: https://sites.google.com/a/simula.no/eirik-rosnes/home
- Research Scientist Hsuan-Yin Lin, [email protected], web: http://hsuanyin-lin.com/main.html
Administrative questions: [email protected]
About Simula and Norway
Simula UiB AS is a research center owned by Simula Research Laboratory AS and the University of Bergen (UiB). Simula Research Laboratory AS is a publicly owned research lab located at Fornebu, just outside of Oslo, Norway. Simula’s mission is to solve important and fundamental problems of science and engineering, with the main goal of benefiting and advancing society. We do this by concentrating on five select research areas in ICT and performing excellent research, by developing our people, and by spinning out applicable results into profitable startups.
Learn more about working at Simula: Careers at Simula
Norway is famous for its outdoor scenery, with gorgeous fjords, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Our office is located in downtown Bergen, a beautiful city named as the gateway to the fjords. Moreover, Norway is a safe and peaceful country with a thriving economy, offering a high standard of living and all the benefits of a social-democratic welfare state, such as social security and universal public healthcare.
Learn more about Norway: Official travel guide to Norway
Simula UiB uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.