The Information Transmission Group of the Satellite Networks Department of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) investigates the analysis and the design of communication systems, with emphasis on modulation, error correction, signal processing and medium access control methods.
Grounded on a firm theoretical ground, the group targets the development of advanced transmission schemes for satellite and space communication systems, as well as a widespread application of coding techniques in the domains of storage, computation and cryptography.
We are currently looking for highly-motivated and well-qualified postdoctoral researchers in the field of quantum error correction. By joining our team, the candidate will become part of a very dynamic, international environment, with numerous possibilities to establish a scientific collaboration network with major worldwide researchers in the fields of coding/information theory and quantum information processing.
Research topics include (but are not limited to) the design of quantum error correcting codes based on the theory of convolutional, low-density parity-check and polar codes, the analysis of their performance, the derivation of fast decoding algorithms.
The ideal candidate should possess a PhD in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or closely related fields, with a strong background in classical and quantum error correction. Co-supervision of students and young researchers will be part of the activity. Hence, good communication and team-working skills will be an asset. A fluent English (both spoken and written) level and a proven record in writing scientific publications are required.
- Scientific university degree (Master) in engineering (e.g. electrical engineering or information technology) or natural sciences (e.g. physics, mathematics) or other courses of study relevant for the job
- PhD in one of the above fields or comparable, with a focus on quantum error correction and quantum information processing techniques, or else several years of professional experience in this field
- Very good knowledge of the theoretical background of communication/information technology, especially methods from coding theory
- Very good knowledge in the field of quantum computer platforms, quantum information processing, especially decoding algorithms
- Experience with classical error correction methods and new quantum error correction methods (e.g. quantum LDPC codes), and especially "stabilizer codes"
- Very good knowledge in the programming language "ANSI C" as well as in the program MATLAB
- Experience in planning and managing scientific research projects desirable
- Experience in publishing in scientific journals and presenting at scientific conferences
- Very good knowledge of English
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
1 October 2023
Duration of contract
up to German TVöD 14
Type of employment
Full-time (part-time possible)