We are seeking highly motivated and qualified Research Associates at Louisiana State University who can play key roles in the development of data-driven modeling, control, communication, and networking algorithms for marine robotics applications. The selected candidates will join a multi-disciplinary team of researchers at Louisiana State University and will have the opportunity to pursue research and development within a range of topics related to distributed underwater autonomous systems and will work closely with our industry partners. The candidates must be US permanent residents or US citizens. The position offered is for at least 3 years, starting in Jan. 2024, and a competitive salary will be offered. To know more about the position, please feel free to write your queries to Dr. Corina Barbalata and Dr. Shuangqing Wei at the following email addresses: [email protected], [email protected]
Roles and responsibilities:
- Conduct research to identify solutions for modeling, control and/or communication and networking of distributed maritime operations undertaken by both surface and underwater marine vehicles
- Design algorithmic and software tools for modeling, control and networking of distributed marine operations
- Design, perform and/or oversee experiments and data collection
- Review and evaluate results of the simulations, experiments, and/or tests.
- Write or assist in preparing monthly reports and presentations for the research group and/or the funding agency
- Write or assist in preparing scientific papers for international conferences and journals.
- Maintain currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Work closely with collaborators, including industrial partners, graduate students, and undergraduate students
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or robotics
- Minimum 2 years of previous experience as a research assistant in an area relevant to this position.
- Green card holder or US citizen
- Use of software such as Python/C++/Matlab and Simulink/ns-3 (or similar), Latex, Word/PowerPoint/Excel.
- Ability to perform independent, original research in robotics/controls/modeling/communication engineering/network engineering/machine learning, as evidenced by publications or thesis works
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in robotics/controls/communication and networking/modeling/ machine learning/ neural networks.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on research data and findings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to coordinate scientific and/or engineering research projects, and work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Advanced knowledge of linear algebra, optimization, probability and statistics.
- Knowledge of engineering and/or scientific research principles, practices, and protocols.
- Knowledge of engineering/scientific experiments, tests, and data collection protocols.
- Robotic Operating System
- Project management experience is a plus.
About the Employment
- The position offered is for, at least, three years, starting in Jan. 2024. Competitive salary will be offered.
- Cover letter
- Name of two references