To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Information Theory, the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory Society instituted the IEEE Information Theory Society Golden Jubilee Awards for Technological Innovation and the Golden Jubilee Paper Awards. The awards were given at the 1998 International Symposium on Information Theory, Cambridge, Massachusetts, August 1998. The Golden Jubilee Paper Awards are given for outstanding articles published in the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory whose impact on the development of the fields of interest to the Information Theory Society is now widely recognized. Papers that have received the Information Theory Society Paper Award are not eligible.
The papers IEEE Information Theory Society Golden Jubilee Paper Awards go to:
- M. J. E. Golay, "Notes on digital coding," Proc. IRE, vol. 37, p.637, 1949.
- C. E. Shannon, "The zero-error capacity of a noisy channel", IEEE Trans. Information Theory, IT-2, pp. 8-19, 1956
- R. Price, "A Useful Theorem for nonlinear devices having Gaussian inputs", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -4, pp. 69-72, June 1958.
- R.G. Gallager, "Low-Density Parity-Check Codes," IRE Transactions on Information Theory, IT-8, pp. 21-28, January 1962
- R. G. Gallager, "A simple derivation of the coding theorem and some applications", IEEE Trans. Information Theory, IT-11, pp. 3-18, Jan. 1965
- T. Cover and P. Hart, "Nearest neighbor pattern classification", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT-13, pp. 21-27, 1967.
- J. L. Massey, "Shift-register synthesis and BCH decoding,'' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -15, pp.122--127, 1969.
- T. Kailath, "A general likelihood-ratio formula for random signals in Gaussian noise,'' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT-15, pp.350 - 361, 1969.
- G. D. Forney, Jr., "Convolutional codes I: Algebraic structure,'' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -16, pp. 720--738, 1970.
- G. D. Forney, Jr, "Maximum Likelihood Sequence Estimation of Digital Sequences in the Presence of Intersymbol Interference", IEEE Trans. Information Theory, IT-18, pp. 363-378, May 1972
- L. R. Bahl, J. Cocke, F. Jelinek, J.Raviv, "Optimal Decoding of Linear Codes for Minimizing Symbol Error Rate", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, IT-20, pp. 284-287, March 1974
- R. J. McEliece, E.R. Rodemich, H.C. Rumsey, and L.R. Welch, "New upper bounds on the rate of a code via the Delsarte-MacWilliams inequalities,'' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -23, pp.157-166, 1977.
- H. Imai and S. Hirakawa, "A new multilevel coding method using error-correcting codes," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -23, pp. 371-377, 1977.
- R. M. Tanner, "A recursive approach to low-complexity codes,"IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT -27, pp.533-547, 1981.
- S. Verdú, ``Minimum probability of error for asynchronous Gaussian multiple-access channels,'' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT-32, pp. 85 - 96, 1986.