Report of the Online Committee
- Brief report on financial aspects of the web initiative
- New features
- Domain names for future ISITs, and archiving of conference websites
Finances of web initiative
New features and road ahead
- Upgrade to Plone 4 (deployed). The website has been upgraded from Plone 3 to Plone 4. While this is transparent to many users, there are many benefits to this including increased responsiveness, many bug fixes, and easier longer-term maintenance
- Social media sharing (deployed) . Every item on the website can now easily be shared on Facebook/Twitter/Google +, etc. Upon creating an item, one can decide to make the item "Shareable" (inactive by default). An example can be found here .
- Media resources (last stages of testing). Now can now upload videos into the website or embed videos hosted elsewhere. These videos are played with an embedded Flash player to avoid any possible client-side issues.
Looking ahead the Online Committee will work on linking and advertising all the media resources using the new media features. Presently, most resources are available at http://media.itsoc.org/isit.html, http://media.itsoc.org/school.html, http://media.itsoc.org/withits.html. These resources will have to be linked in the website, which will make them searchable. In addition, "Lectures" will be created to properly advertise all the plenaries, Shannon lectures, and ITSchool lectures recorded over the years.
Domain names and archiving of future ISITs
Presently, creating a website and managing the domain name (isitxxx.org) is the responsibility of conference organizers. While this does provide them with flexibility in terms of website design, interfacing with submission sites, etc., it makes it difficult to ensure archival over the years. As an example, the website for ISITs prior to 2009 are not available anymore. The management of domain names and the hosting of websites are two separate issues, and the Online Committee recommends the following:
- Moving from isitxxxx.org to isitxxxx.itsoc.org as the standard address for ISIT. Although ITSoc could consider buying the domains isitxxx.org for 10 years, the proposed address would be much more manageable and sustainable for the Online Committee. In addition, we could ensure consistency across conferences, by creating addresses such as itw1025.itsoc.org, na-school2015.itsoc.org, etc.
- Encouraging conference organizers to create a subwebsite within Plone for their conference. Many schools have already elected to do so, and their websites are still accessible. In contrast, developing a backup infrastructure would create significant maintenance overhead.
The last five months of web traffic remain stable with over 300 visits/day. The traffic comes for 64% from search engines, 16% from direct traffic, 14% from referring sites, and 6% from email links.
|Visits||41,270 ( 23,380 unique)||42,040 ( 23,007 unique)|
All of the above statistics may be self explanatory except for bounce rate , which is the percentage of single-page visits.
|EU School 2014||2,304|
|IT paper award||1,323|