As the system spins up, several users may end up with two accounts, because one was created for them or by them a while ago, and they forgot about it, or they accidentally reregistered (or had a proxy reregister for them). What should the protocol be for merging two users?
- If they have a profile set up with address and so on, and the old profile does not have too much auto-linked information, then it may be best to migrate the old account to the new account:
- Linked paper objects can be edited to change the author list (this will also move the paper award)
- Committee memberships have to be changed on a per-committee basis (also the dates of service)
- Disable the old account once the content is moved
- If they have a profile set up but have also been on 57 different committees, then it would be easier to migrate the profile information to the existing account.
- Cut and paste all the profile information to the old account
- Disable the old account
- Send an email to the user with their correct account login and ask them to reset their password.
- If they have a preference for a username/login, change the short name on the account after merging.