Communications Society & Information Theory Society Joint Paper Award
A plaque and an honorarium up to US $500 for each author (total cost not exceeding US $1,000 for each paper).
For outstanding papers published in any publication of the Communications Society or the Information Theory Society within the previous three calendar years. The authors do not have to be members of IEEE. Presented annually.
Basis for Judging
Quality, originality, utility, timeliness, and presentation. The paper should cover the interests and achieve the values of both the Communications Society and the Information Theory Society.
Jointly sponsored by IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) and Information Theory Society (IT).
Evenly funded by the two sponsoring societies.
- Each year a joint papers evaluation subcommittee of six members is formed with three from each of the Awards committees of the two societies. ComSoc's members are appointed by the Chair of the ComSoc Awards Committee.
- This subcommittee considers ranked nominations from publications boards in both societies and selects 1 or 2 papers as the award recipients. No paper already selected for a ComSoc paper award will be eligible. The processes/timelines will be the same as all other paper awards.
Annually at any event sponsored by either of the two sponsoring societies selected by the recipient(s)
Nominations and optional letters of endorsement must be submitted by February 15 using the online nomination form available [here]
Past Paper Awards are as follows.
- P. Gopalan , C. Huang , H. Simitci , S. Yekhanin , "On the Locality of Codeword Symbols", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Nov. 2012
- B. Nazer , M. Gastpar , "Compute-and-Forward: Harnessing Interference Through Structured Codes", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Oct. 2011
- S. Avestimehr , S. Diggavi , D. Tse , "Wireless Network Information Flow: A Deterministic Approach", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Apr. 2011
- M. Lentmaier , A. Sridharan , D.J. Costello Jr., K. Zigangirov , "Iterative Decoding Threshold Analysis for LDPC Convolutional Codes", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Oct. 2010
- A. Dimakis , P.B. Godfrey , M.J. Wainwright , K. Ramchandran , "Network Coding for Distributed Storage Systems", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Aug. 2010
- M. Bloch , J. Barros , M. Rodrigues , S.W. McLaughlin , "Wireless Information-Theoretic Security", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, May. 2008
- G. Caire , N. Jindal , N. Ravindran , "Multiuser MIMO Achievable Rates with Downlink Training and Channel State Feedback", IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, May. 2010
- R. Koetter (1963-2009), F.R. Kschischang , "Coding for Errors and Erasures in Random Network Coding", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Jul. 2008
- T. Ho , M. Medard , R. Koetter (1963-2009), D. Karger , M. Effros , J. Shi , B. Leong , "A Random Linear Network Coding Approach to Multicast", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Oct. 2006
- A. Abbasfar , D. Divsalar , K. Yao , "Accumulate-Repeat-Accumulate Codes", IEEE Trans. Commun., Apr. 2007
- T. Weissman , E. Ordentlich , G. Seroussi , M. Weinberger , S. Verdú , "Universal Discrete Denoising: Known Channel", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Dec. 2004
- N. Jindal , S. Vishwanath , A. Goldsmith , "On the Duality of Gaussian Multiple-Access and Broadcast Channels", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, May. 2004
- G. Caire , S. Shamai (Shitz), "On the Achievable Throughput of a Multiantenna Gaussian Broadcast Channel", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Jul. 2003
- I. Sason , S. Shamai (Shitz), "Variations on the Gallager Bounds, Connections, and Applications", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Nov. 2002
- M.L. Honig , W. Xiao , "Performance of Reduced-Rank Linear Interference Suppression", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Jul. 2001
- X. Wang , H.V. Poor , "Iterative (Turbo) Soft Interference Cancellation and Decoding for Coded CDMA", IEEE Trans. Commun., Jul. 1999
- D. Tse , S.V. Hanly , "Linear Multiuser Receivers: Effective Interference, Effective Bandwidth and User Capacity", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Mar. 1999